When I became a mom for the first time, I started looking for holistic, natural, and organic ways of parenting. I’ve tried and failed a few times at several different efforts. But I completely lucked out with one. Coconut oil has been my go-to product and I will happily sing its praise. So why do I love it so much and swear by it?
Here’s 5 reasons why I can’t live without coconut oil in my pantry.
- I use it on my hair for frizz and tangle control. In that sense it works as a natural leave-in conditioner and is great for kid’s hair too. It tames and shines your hair with just a dime sized amount.
- It’s a natural lotion that is safe for all skin types. Unrefined, virgin coconut oil only has one ingredient, so you know exactly what you’re getting. Coconut oil isn’t always the best lotion because my skin does need extra nourishment in the winter but it’s great for the other 3 seasons. I even lather it on my children after their bath.
- It makes a great cooking oil. I like to use it for things like pancakes and cookies because the subtle coconut flavor goes well with the sweeter things in life.
- It’s my secret ingredient in my nightly tea. I’m on a ketogenic diet which focuses on high fat, low carbohydrate eating for weight loss. To get an extra boost of healthy fats, I add 1 tablespoon to my nightly cup of chamomile tea. It adds a little flavor and a boost of good fats.
- I use it as natural healing agent for minor cuts. Anyone with kids know that they are accident-prone! Cuts and scrapes are all apart of growing up and learning. Coconut oil makes a magnificent home remedy as an anti-bacterial agent that will also sooth a scraped knee and help it heal.
Coconut oil is one of those products that is very versatile and easy to use. From hair and body applications, to cooking and eating, coconut oil is the most important product I keep at home. It’s safe for babies, sensitive skin, and I’ve never heard of anyone being allergic to it. It’s almost like a miracle in a bottle or a jack of all trades. That’s why I love it so much. I can use it for some many different things.
photo credit: wuestenigel Aufgeschlagene Kokosnuss via photopin (license)
Alice V is a blogger at DIY Your Life. She writes about crafts, preschool activities, home décor, home improvement, weight loss, family adventures and local tourism in Southern California. She has many interests in life including astronomy, cooking, painting, and creating while having fun with her family.